How about a salad?
I don’t know about you, but after a weekend of bingeing on Thanksgiving leftovers, that’s just what I need.
This salad makes me happy because it’s fresh and colorful, while still being made with winter produce. You may not be able to tell from my 8:00 am iPhone photos here, but between the beets and the citrus, the colors are beautiful.
I’ve been mildly obsessed with beets lately, starting with the roasted beet hummus I made for Thanksgiving. They’re just so pretty! If you’ve been scared of roasting beets, like I was before last week, don’t be. You stick them in the oven and forget about them, then easily push the skin off with a knife once they’re cool. Easy as pie! No… way easier than pie.
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 medium beet (or 2 small beets)
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 5 oz. baby spinach
- several handfuls pine nuts, toasted
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- juice of 1 orange
- 1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- To roast the beet(s), preheat oven to 400. Trim stems and scrub off dirt. Loosely wrap in foil. Roast for 60 minutes or until a fork slides easily to the center of the beet. Remove from oven, unwrap and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Once beet has cooled, slide the skin off using the back of a knife. Slice off top and bottom and chop into small cubes.
- To make dressing, whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- To assemble, layer salad ingredients and top with dressing.