Meyer Lemon Curd

Meyer Lemon Curd I figured I would give you a break from Saladfest 2013 (a.k.a. this blog last week) to bring you this meyer lemon curd.

I’m pretty sure we will return to Saladfest later in the week, though, because I am going to Mexico in just 10 days (!!!) and, well, yeah… I’d be lying if I said the whole food blogging thing has been good for my waistline.

But it can’t all be salads, especially because lemon curd would not go very well on a salad. That’s my prediction, at least. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Meyer Lemon Curd

Have you ever had lemon curd? I hadn’t before I made it for the first time. It is a lemony spread with the consistency of a very light pudding. Like a lemon jam, but less overwhelmingly lemon than I imagine that would be. It’s like a little bite of sunshine! Don’t be scared off by the “curd” in the name – not really sure what that’s about, but nothing is curdled here. Just sweet, lemony, (uncurdled) sunshine. Perfect for days when it’s supposed to be spring, but is cold and rainy instead.

Meyer Lemon Curd

I’ve made this same lemon curd before with regular ol’ lemons, but this time I chose meyer lemons. To be honest, the reason is that regular lemons were 99 cents each at Whole Foods, which seemed totally unreasonable to me, given the fact that this recipe requires quite a few of them. $7 of lemons? No thanks. So I convinced myself that the $3.99 bag of 5 meyer lemons was a better deal. Then I bought 2 of them.

$8 in lemons.

That’s a fail. In both the math and common sense departments.

Meyer Lemon Curd

You could most certainly use regular lemons here (as I have in the past), and the flavor will be very much the same.

This lemon curd is excellent on waffles, yogurt, a spoon, and in a delicious recipe I’ll be sharing on Wednesday. Whip up a double batch, why don’t you?

Oh, because that would be $15 in lemons?

Gotcha.

Meyer Lemon Curd

Meyer Lemon Curd

This sunshiny spread is excellent spread on waffles, toast, or yogurt. Feel free to sub regular lemons for the meyer lemons.
Yields: about 2 cups
  • 1 cup fresh meyer lemon juice (from 6-7 lemons)
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
  • 2 Tbsp milk or cream (I used almond milk)
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Combine lemon juice, butter and cream in a small pot or pan over medium heat. Heat until butter is melted and mixture is almost at a boil (but don’t let it boil).
  2. In the meantime, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks. Slowly whisk in the sugar.
  3. Remove the lemon juice mixture from the heat and mix a small amount of it into the egg/sugar mixture. Gradually add a little bit more, whisking constantly, until all of it has been incorporated.
  4. Pour the mixture back into the pot or pan and return to medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the spoon. (You’ll want to scrape the bottom of the pan to keep the eggs from scrambling.) This should take about 8-10 minutes.
  5. Remove from heat and strain it into a bowl. (I used a regular mesh strainer for this, with good results. If you have a fine mesh strainer, that would also be ideal.) Stir in the salt and vanilla.
  6. Cover tightly and refrigerate for 1-2 hours, until cold.
  7. Will last for up to 5 days in the fridge, and freezes well.
Notes
Adapted from one of my all-time favorite cookbooks, Joanne Chang’s Flour.

• Lesley Kemp May 6, 2013, 7:44 am

We have a meyer lemon tree that is extremely generous. We give away so many lemons. I’m going to make your lemon curd. I’m so delighted to see that it can be frozen. Did you know that you can freeze whole lemons. Then the peel can be grated and the juice squeezed when you need them. I can’t rate the recipe as I’ve not made it yet but it sounds delicious. I’m sure it would rate 5 stars.

• Erica May 6, 2013, 7:55 am

Very envious of your meyer lemon tree, Lesley! And thanks for the lemon freezing tip :)

• dishing up the dirt May 6, 2013, 7:46 am

This sounds so light and refreshing! Can’t wait for more salads though :) BTW, so jealous of your upcoming trip to Mexico!!!

• Julia {The Roasted Root} May 6, 2013, 8:19 am

Yuuuuuum! Meyer lemons are so fun and tasty! I’ve never made curd but considering all the delicious things you can do with it, I certainly need to get on it! Hope you had a great weekend!

• Lauren May 6, 2013, 9:28 am

So exciting that you’re going to Mexico! I’d been wanting to go for a short trip either in April or May. Unfortunately, I failed in planning.
    Btw, this lemon curd looks fantastic!!

• Sarah @ makingthymeforhealth May 6, 2013, 10:42 am

I don’t think I’ve ever had curd. I’ve had custard before and this kind of reminds me of that. Sounds great! And I’m jealous of your Mexico trip, I am dying to be on a beach right now. Have fun!

• Katie @ Blonde Ambition May 6, 2013, 1:38 pm

Lemon curd is one of my faaaaaavorite sweet things (that isn’t chocolate). I hadn’t made it until this Easter when I made my Braided Lemon Bread, and I was in awe of how easy it was to make! Dangerous realization right there.

P.s. I love the little jar you put yours in! Too cute.

• Lokness @ The Missing Lokness May 6, 2013, 1:48 pm

Your Meyer lemon curd looks very delicious. I recently bought a package of Meyer lemons. And I was trying many different recipes with them. I love that they are less acidic and has a more fragrant kind of smell. They are fantastic. I didn’t know Whole Foods carry them. I really should go and check it out. Thanks for sharing.

• Erica May 6, 2013, 1:56 pm

Thanks, Lokness! I’m just checking out your meyer lemon souffle right now – yum! That might have to be where my leftover meyer lemons go!

• Josefine May 24, 2013, 12:56 pm

Hi! I just made this amazing lemon curd. It’s SO good. Thanks for sharing the recipe :)
    Can I post it on my blog linking back to your blog?
    Bests Josefine

• Dara February 1, 2014, 9:31 am

Could pineapple juice be substituted for a pineapple curd?

• Erica February 1, 2014, 10:55 am

Hi Dara, you could use any type of curd, it certainly doesn’t have to be lemon! But I wouldn’t recommend using juice – you need something much thicker.

• Stacy B. February 2, 2014, 3:59 pm

Wow! Just made this recipe today and it was so easy, not to mention delicious!

Thanks for sharing. :)

• Erica February 2, 2014, 9:13 pm

Glad you enjoyed it, Stacy! :)