I looove cucumbers.
There was a whole summer during college when my dinner almost every night consisted of pasta with olive oil and parmesan and a side of peeled, sliced cucumbers. It was the most “cooking” I could handle as a 19-year-old. Possibly not the most nutritious meal, but totally delicious. If I ever find myself eating that these days, it immediately takes me back. And then I hurry to add a beer or glass of wine to my meal, for old time’s sake. The summer I’m talking about was spent in Berlin, after all.
Given my love of plain cucumbers, it’s no surprise that I’ve always loved this simple cucumber salad, which my mom has made for as long as I can remember. It’s easy, tasty, and refreshing… and does anyone else think cucumbers are kind of fun to slice? It’s the perfect side dish for a Memorial Day barbecue or picnic.
And dare I say that it tastes amazing with steak tips?
Yes, this vegetarian (of almost a year now!) can still dream about steak tips.
If I were making them this weekend, I would 100% serve them with this salad on the side.
Instead, we’re off to Pennsylvania to celebrate the wedding of our friends Bill and Aspen! Bill is a personal chef, so I have no doubt the food at their wedding will be fabulous. It will be great to see a few friends from home, too!
Whether you’re planning a barbecue or picnic or just having a low-key weekend, this salad would make a great addition. Even if the main dish is just pasta, olive oil, and parmesan. :)
Have a great long weekend! I’ll be back on Tuesday with another recipe… and there won’t be a salad in sight.
- 4 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced (I used a mandolin)
- 1/2 of a red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Add sliced cucumbers and red onion to serving bowl. Pour vinegar and sprinkle sugar over the top and toss to thoroughly combine. Taste and adjust sugar and vinegar to suit your tastes. Finally, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and a healthy shake of pepper. Toss again.
- Serve and enjoy! Salad is best on the same day it's made.