Three-Ingredient Sunbutter Cookies

Three-Ingredient Sunbutter Cookies

You may recall from my recipe fails post the sunflower seed butter cookies I tried to make last year. The ones that turned green.

Accidental green cookies, no matter how delicious they taste, are a fail. (And those ones didn’t taste that delicious, either.) But I still wanted to make Sunbutter cookies. Maybe I don’t learn from my mistakes? But maybe I do, because in this case I learned that baking soda was the culprit – it reacts with the chlorophyll in the sunflower seeds to cause that, um, interesting green color.

The solution was obviously to just leave out the baking soda. Enter three-ingredient Sunbutter cookies!

Three-Ingredient Sunbutter Cookies

You are probably familiar with three-ingredient peanut butter cookies. They are pretty much the quickest and easiest cookies in the world: three ingredients, about 15 minutes total to make, and probably less time than that to devour the whole batch. They’re not especially healthy, but you know, these things have to be overlooked sometimes. They’re the perfect recipe for budding bakers to impress everyone with, and the clean-up isn’t too bad either. But best of all (for me and my Sunbutter cookie craving, that is), baking soda is not among the three ingredients. Cha-ching!

So I did what any reasonable human being with an unreasonable Sunbutter cookie craving would do: I swapped some Sunbutter in for the peanut butter in that easy recipe. Done! Just like that, I had three-ingredient Sunbutter cookies.

Three-Ingredient Sunbutter Cookies

It probably goes without saying that these are a lot like the peanut butter version, but different. They taste exactly like the ingredients you put in them, so if you don’t love sunflower seed butter… well, stick to the peanut butter version. But if you are a sunflower seed butter fan, and especially if you or someone you’re baking for has a peanut allergy, I can’t recommend these enough! They are just heavenly eaten right off the cooling rack, dipped in a cold glass of almond milk.

Three-Ingredient Sunbutter Cookies

Obligatory milk-balancing picture. My milk-balancing skills are apparently not so good, because I lost the first cookie I tried to balance into this glass of milk. Had to eat that one – darn it! Food photography is pretty strenuous.

Three ingredients, two dozen cookies, one satisfied craving, zero green spots in your baked goods. Huge success!

Three-Ingredient Sunbutter Cookies

Three-Ingredient Sunbutter Cookies

Yields: about 2 dozen cookies
  • 1 cup sunflower seed butter (I used natural Sunbutter)
  • 1 cup sugar (I would not recommend substituting this, especially with a liquid sweetener)
  • 1 egg
  • (optional) sea salt for topping
  1. Preheat oven to 350 and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. Mix sunflower seed butter, sugar, and egg together in a medium bowl. The mixture will be thin at first; stir for about 30 seconds until it thickens up.
  3. Roll tablespoon-sized spoonfuls of batter into balls. Place several inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. (They should not spread too much while baking.) Use a fork to press a criss-cross pattern into them. Top with sea salt if desired.
  4. Bake cookies until they puff up slightly, about 10 minutes. They may not turn noticeably golden brown, but they are done nevertheless. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. These cookies are great while still warm, and are best on the day they're made. Enjoy!

• Becky @ Olives n Wine January 20, 2014, 5:30 am

Sugar + Sun Butter – I think I could get down with this recipe ;) And, I might just make a few more than one fall into a glass of milk… I mean, you need to make sure they taste good, right?!

• Julia January 20, 2014, 6:36 am

Green cookies are not the same thing as green smoothies, so I can definitely see how you’d want to recipe re-make that experience! These cookies look amaaaazing! I’m all about 3 ingredient nut butter cookies, and have been meaning to try sunflower seed butter. I’d probably “practice” my milk-balancing photography until I done et the entire batch. Delicious!

• Terr January 20, 2014, 6:42 am

Hi Erica!

First, thanks for such an easy recipe. However, I’m more of an almond butter person and since I just bought some….yummy recipe coming up! :D

But here’s a question: How do you get the cookies to look like they are made with flour when they are baked? I guess I fear the cookies will taste like a hardened clump of nut butter instead of tasting like a cookie with cookie texture.

Also, can I add vanilla extract? And, I have a cinnamon and sugar shaker, since I don’t buy bags of sugar. Could I use the cinnamon and sugar mixture? Thanks!

• Erica January 20, 2014, 9:50 am

Hi Terr, I made an almond butter version too, and they were definitely good! You can certainly play around with adding different ingredients like vanilla and cinnamon – I can’t imagine them being bad, but I haven’t tried them myself. These cookies definitely don’t have the same texture as cookies made with flour. They’re more delicate, but not gross and hard or anything. Give them a try and see what you think!

• Terr January 20, 2014, 1:13 pm

Oh I bet they’re like a macroon in texture. I like that even better! I’m trying this tonight. Matter of fact, I bet I could make an amaretto cookie with this recipe. Yeah, that’s exactly what this sounds like, CAN’T WAIT!

• dishing up the dirt January 20, 2014, 11:01 am

I love sunflower seed butter. These cookies sound perfect. Also, just to let you know I am armed with beets and macadamia nuts. I’m going to attempt beet butter today! I’ll keep you posted…

• Erica January 20, 2014, 11:40 am

Yes!! I was just thinking about that yesterday when I made another macadamia nut butter concoction. Hope the beet version turns out well! It is going to be gorgeous in any case!

• taylor @ greens & chocolate January 20, 2014, 11:47 am

I’ve never had sunflower seed butter before…just might have to give it a try because these cookies look yummy!

• Erica January 20, 2014, 12:43 pm

It’s awesome in smoothies! You should definitely give it a try :)

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 20, 2014, 2:38 pm

These sound amazing!! I love sunflower seed butter, but never thought to make cookies with it. Plus, a three ingredient cook is always amazing!

• dina January 20, 2014, 6:30 pm

i’d love to try these with sunflower butter!

• Sarah January 20, 2014, 9:31 pm

I’ve never tasted sunbutter, but these cookies look simple and delicious – putting them on my to-make list:)

• xinxin January 20, 2014, 10:18 pm

hi,,
    may i know what is sunflower seed butter,,cos in singapore we are
    unable to get,,any subsitute, i would like
    to try this cookis for comin chinese new year,
    hope u can share by rtn mail,,thanks’;
    xinxin–sg

• Erica January 21, 2014, 7:48 am

Hi Xinxin, you can use peanut butter or any other nut butter in these cookies. Enjoy!

• taylor @ taylormade January 21, 2014, 6:54 am

I’ve also never tried sunbutter, but I LOVE sunflower seeds, so I think I must. and obviously, I love cookies…. so these I REALLY must try! love that they’re so simple.

• Abbie @ Needs Salt January 21, 2014, 7:13 am

These cookies look amazing! I love how simple they are. And I love the addition of salt, of course!
    Pinned.

• Jordan Lynn // Life Between Lattes January 21, 2014, 12:40 pm

These looks delicious – I don’t know that I have ever tried sun butter, but I obviously should buy some just to make these cookies!

• Katie @ Blonde Ambition January 21, 2014, 4:43 pm

Ummm these are genius! I can’t believe they’re only 3 ingredients! My roomie & I use sunflower seed oil, but I have never tried sunbutter. I’ve never met a nut/seed butter I didn’t like, so I’m sure I’d dig these ;)

• Gretchen @ Two Healthy Kitchens January 22, 2014, 6:44 am

Erica! These look amazing!!!!! Your photos are beautiful! And those cookies – they look so very impressive I’d never guess they only had 3 ingredients in them! So absolutely perfect! You’re sooo smart!
    Have you ever tried making the butter from the sunflower seeds? My husband bought a 7438 pound (ok, not really, but it’s big!) bag of sunflower seeds that will take me YEARS to get through – I’m wondering if a quick whir in the food processor would do the trick??

• Erica January 22, 2014, 8:48 am

Thanks Gretchen! No, I’ve never tried that, but but I’m sure it would be totally easy… as long as they’re pre-hulled sunflower kernels! Here are the ingredients in the Sunbutter brand I use – looks like you might want to add some salt and sweetener. And toast the sunflower seeds first! Let me know how it works out :)

• Kris January 25, 2014, 11:22 am

These look great. Do you think they would be okay with a flax replacement for egg? Need a vegan replacement for the added egg…any thoughts?

• Erica January 25, 2014, 8:17 pm

Hi Kris, I’d be hesitant to use a flax egg because there are so few ingredients, but I haven’t tried it myself. You could search around to see if there are other bloggers who have!

• Kris January 26, 2014, 6:08 am

Thanks for the reply.

• Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli February 1, 2014, 5:20 am

Oh wow! I had no idea about the baking soda thing! I’m not much of a baker, but I AM a lover of sunflower seed butter just about any way I can get it so I will definitely be adding that to my little memory bank just in case! Love the pictures! I think you have that cookie balance thing totally down now! ;)

• Peggy March 23, 2014, 4:15 pm

Just made these with my seven year old son. We love them! My oldest has a peanut allergy, so these were a perfect replacement ( for me).