Carrot Butter

Carrot Butter

Allow me to introduce you to the thing you never knew your life was woefully incomplete without:

CARROT BUTTER.

Carrot Butter

Carrot butter has been on my to-cook list since the inception of this blog, and I can’t believe it’s taken me so long to bring it to you.

So let me tell you about it: it’s a rich puree of macademia nuts and cooked carrots, sweetened with maple syrup and flavored with vanilla.

Carrot Butter

A sweet, nutty carrot puree? You’re probably thinking I’m crazy right about now. And to that I would say: Yes… I mean no. No with a side of yes?

The reason I might be a little crazy is that this carrot puree is based on an appetizer from our favorite local vegan restaurant, Sage’s Cafe. And anyone who has a favorite vegan restaurant with dishes on the menu like Magical Wok and Guac-and-Roll might be a little cuckoo. We’ve even been to their all-you-can eat vegan pizza night… and one of the pizzas has carrot butter on it! Mostly, we just go for the carrot butter.

Carrot Butter

So that’s the reason that a maple macademia carrot puree does not make me insane. It is so freaking delicious I can’t even stand it, and it couldn’t be easier to make at home. You just need to find some macademia nuts (I’ve bought them at both Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods before), which I know can be on the pricey side. Could you use cashews instead? Sure, but you’d lose that out-of-this world buttery macademia flavor. I say go big or go home! Better yet, go buy yourself a big bag of macademia nuts, then go home and make this carrot butter.

Carrot Butter

Sage’s Cafe serves their carrot butter with a seeded baguette and cucumber slices. It’s also delicious on any other type of bread… crackers… vegetables… eaten straight with a fork/spoon/knife/finger/spatula… I think you get the gist. To be honest, I would have photographed my batch of carrot butter with some veggies, too, but it was lunch time. And at some point I just had to throw the camera aside and dig in.

So. freaking. good.

Carrot Butter

Just trust me.

You can send someone over to check my sanity after you’ve tried this stuff for yourself!

DSC_0416

Carrot Butter

• 1 1/4 lb carrots, peeled and diced
  • 3/4 cup macadamia nuts
  • 2 Tbsp safflower or canola oil
  • 2 Tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • kosher salt to taste (I used almost 1 tsp)
  1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Simmer chopped carrots until very tender, 15-20 minutes depending on the size of the chopped pieces.
  2. While carrots simmer, puree macademia nuts and oil in a food processor until a butter is formed. (If you’re using a high-speed blender, you can skip this step and puree all the ingredients together once the carrots are done.)
  3. Once the carrots are cooked, drain and place in the food processor with the macademia nut butter. Add maple syrup and vanilla and puree until a smooth, whipped texture is achieved, stopping to scrape down the sides with a knife as necessary. Salt to taste.
  4. Allow to cool before serving. Enjoy on bread, crackers, veggies, a sandwich, you name it!

• Aparna B. January 13, 2014, 5:32 am

Sounds great, Erica!! I love any kind of “butter” that isn’t butter LOL. Like cashew butter, almond butter, and now this. I totally have to try it!!

• Julia January 13, 2014, 6:20 am

Oh my gosh, I need thiiiiis! I’ve been blending up nuts like crazy lately, but I haven’t a.) blended macadamias and b.) blended with veggies. I’m envisioning all the wonderful places I would put this stuff. My gosh, I just want to scoop it straight from your food processor into my mouth!

• Christine @ Gotta Eat Green January 13, 2014, 6:52 am

Carrot… butter? Really? I am so intrigued. Looks amazing though! Pinned!!!!

• Lily @ Life, Love, and Cupcakes January 13, 2014, 7:54 am

I have to admit that I was pretty unsure about this title..but then saw that it has macadamia nuts and was sold! I’m dying to try this, sounds awesome!

• Rossi @ A Baking Girl January 13, 2014, 8:10 am

This looks so good! At first glance at the title I kinda thought, whaaatt???, but looking at that ingredients list makes me think that this carrot butter would be out of this world! As soon as I have access to a food processor again I will be making this

• Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies January 13, 2014, 8:59 am

That vegan restaurant sounds like heaven — I wish there was a vegan pizza buffet here! I’ll have to settle for carrot butter. Definitely something I need in my life NOW!

• Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run January 13, 2014, 9:21 am

how creative (and colorful!)

• dishing up the dirt January 13, 2014, 9:26 am

This sounds like a tastier version of one of my favorite carrot purees. I’m seriously running to the store to buy macadamia nuts today!

• Becky @ Olives n Wine January 13, 2014, 11:33 am

This sounds so interesting. I never ever in a million years would have thought to make something like this! This is officially on my list for the next party I host… yum!

• sweetsweaty January 13, 2014, 12:57 pm

No need for convincing here! I love carrots and I love macadamia nuts. This sounds like a match made in heaven. I literally can’t wait to go buy the stuff to make it after work! I keep bulk carrots on hand for juicing so alls I need is the macademia’s!

• Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health January 13, 2014, 2:21 pm

OMG. How have I not heard of carrot butter?! Genius.

I’m not at all suspicious that it tastes amazing. Carrots are delicious in sweet and savory recipes. For example, carrot cake. Need I say more?

I can’t wait to try it!!

• Erica January 13, 2014, 3:08 pm

Of course – carrot cake! How did I not think of that? Yummmm. This is healthier though :)

• Alex Caspero MA,RD (@delishknowledge) January 13, 2014, 2:56 pm

Looks delicious! I love this idea! So colorful :)

• Alex Caspero MA,RD (@delishknowledge) January 13, 2014, 2:56 pm

Also- totally random but I love your popular posts widget! Which one is it? :)

• Erica January 14, 2014, 10:53 am

Thanks Alex! It is the Jetpack Top Posts & Pages widget :)

• Katie @ Blonde Ambition January 13, 2014, 4:17 pm

This is such a bizarre recipe idea, but you make it sound amazing! I am seriously intrigued!

• Erica January 14, 2014, 10:50 am

Haha you just can’t think about it too much. It’s really delicious!

• dina January 14, 2014, 10:16 am

what a great idea. it sounds delish!

• Erica January 14, 2014, 10:48 am

Thanks Dina!

• HeatherP January 14, 2014, 8:16 pm

Looks delish! I’m also thinking of other options…
    - beetroot and walnut?
    - sweetpotato and pecan?

(I might sub the oil for coconut oilo or maybe too… keeping it paleo here!)

• Erica January 14, 2014, 8:41 pm

It all sounds delicious! Let me know what you try out, Heather!

• Jordan Lynn // Life Between Lattes January 16, 2014, 6:41 pm

Ahhh, I love how unusual this is. It sounds amazing!

• Joshua Hampton January 17, 2014, 3:46 pm

This is the first time I’ve heard of carrot butter, and this looks amazing. Wow.

• Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli February 1, 2014, 5:35 am

No convincing needed for me, lady! Of course, I am the girl who’s made about half a dozen different dessert hummuses (hummi?)…one of which being a carrot cake one! But really, you just can’t go wrong when you combine the creaminess of nut butter with the natural sweetness of veggies!

I’m so jealous of your all-you-can-eat vegan pizza place! I only wish my town had more options like that…and I’m a meat eater! Haha!

• Lisa February 24, 2014, 7:13 am

This looks great! I usually make a curried carrot butter that is made with sunflower seeds and sweetened with dates. A bit more economical than this version, but I’ll have to try this one. Macadamia nuts are amazing.

• Carol March 2, 2014, 1:21 pm

Wow. Gotta admit, I was skeptical, but this is amazing! I couldn’t find the macadamias so I subbed 1/2 cup Trader Joe’s cashew meal. There might be some left to bring to work Monday with bagels… or not.

• Erica March 2, 2014, 2:27 pm

Carrot butter sounds odd, doesn’t it? So glad you enjoyed it, Carol!

• jan April 1, 2014, 10:58 am

It’s a great mix, healthy and attractive, but canola oil is genetically modified(GMO) as corn and soya product. So if you use organic canola oil it’s better for health. Always use organic non-gmo, when you use corn, canola, soy.
    GMO products are a nigtmare for us and are every where in the food market. Do rechearch on it and it will help you and every body to do not buy any of these products unless it’s certified non-gmo.