Maple Vanilla Macadamia Nut Butter

Maple Vanilla Cashew-Macadamia Nut Butter

Welcome to this week’s edition of Erica’s Food Addictions. And the food I can’t stop eating this week is… drum roll please…

Maple Vanilla Macadamia Nut Butter.

Succinct? No. Unbelievably cram-it-in-your-face, spoon-it-from-the-food-processor, lick-the-spoon, decadently deliciously amazing? Yes.

Maple Vanilla Cashew-Macadamia Nut Butter

(Oh and P.S. it also has cashews. Hence the picture of cashews. But Maple Vanilla Cashew-Macadamia Nut Butter was a little too long of a title, even for me. And “Cashew” was the only part of it I could bear to part with? I don’t know.)

This nut butter is the inevitable result of last week’s carrot butter. While I had my carrots simmering on the stove, I was blending up the macadamia nuts, maple syrup, and vanilla, and sneaking a taste (of course) from the food processor, I thought, Holy crap, this is goodMaybe I should stop right here? But I really wanted to make carrot butter for you, so I forged on, and I wasn’t disappointed with the result. I knew, though, that the macadamia nut butter was something I’d have to revisit. And by revisit, I mean have another excuse to spoon it out of my food processor straight into my mouth.

So, that happened.

Maple Vanilla Cashew-Macadamia Nut Butter

I haven’t gotten on the cashew butter train before this, mostly because I’ve had mixed results blending up my own nut butters in the past. Pistachio butter? That one was a keeper. Some almond and pecan butters I’ve tried to do? Not so much. Frankly, I just never thought cashews would be worth the effort.

Until that carrot butter experience, when I was seized by the irresistible urge to bring a macadamia nut butter into the (blog)world. But then I thought: 1) Macadamias are expensive. 2) I only have a few handfuls left. 3) Here are some cashews. 4) Ding ding ding! Let’s blend ‘em both up. With maple syrup and vanilla, of course, because I still can’t get over how much I love those flavors in the carrot butter.

Maple Vanilla Cashew-Macadamia Nut Butter

The result is as creamy and utterly decadent as you’d expect from macadamias, with that extra savory something from the cashews. Plus the maple and vanilla? It is just unbelievably good. Well actually, I don’t think you have any trouble believing that this could be good. Right? So I guess it is just predictably mind-blowingly amazing? I’ll settle for that.

Want to use all cashews? All macadamias? Be my guest. I don’t think you can go wrong with this one.

I enjoyed this in my morning oatmeal all week with ground flax and raspberries. Mmm. But mostly I just ate it by the spoonful. Predictable.

Maple Vanilla Cashew-Macadamia Nut Butter

Oh hey, could someone bring me a spoon? I think all mine are in the dishwasher.

Maple Vanilla Macadamia Nut Butter

• 1 1/4 cups raw cashews
  • 3/4 cup macadamia nuts
  • 2 Tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • kosher salt to taste (I used between 1/4 tsp and 1/2 tsp)
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Spread cashews on a baking sheet and toast until golden, about 6 minutes. This will vary a lot based on your oven, so check frequently! Remove and pour into a food processor or high-speed blender.
  2. Add macadamia nuts to the food processor/blender (no need to toast these) and puree until smooth, scraping down the sides often. This took about 4 minutes in my Cuisinart.
  3. Add maple syrup, vanilla extract, and a sprinkle of kosher salt. Puree again, adding salt as desired. The nut butter may clump up again once these ingredients are added; I had to process mine for another 5 minutes or so. The longer your puree, the smoother and drippier the end result would be, so I suggest going for another minute or two once you think it's done.
  4. Enjoy on toast, fruit, oatmeal, or straight from the food processor!

• Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run January 24, 2014, 9:38 am

mmm, this looks totally luxurious!

• dishing up the dirt January 24, 2014, 9:42 am

Girl I am ALLOVERTHIS!!!! Honesty, the beet butter I made as a result of your carrot butter has changed my life! I’ve been eating it straight up with a spoon. I’m posting it next week and can’t wait to hear what you think. This new version of yours sounds equally addicting. Love it!

• Erica January 24, 2014, 9:54 am

I cannot wait to make your beet butter recipe! Guess I better put some more macadamia nuts on the shopping list :)

• Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 24, 2014, 10:22 am

Oh my gosh, I die!! This sounds absolutely fantastic! I LOVE macadamia nuts in cookies, but never thought to make nut butter with them. I seriously cannot wait to try this!

• Starla January 24, 2014, 12:55 pm

Can I make this in a blender? I don’t have a food processor. It looks delicious!

• Erica January 24, 2014, 2:39 pm

Hi Starla, I’m sure you could! If you have a high-speed blender like a Vitamix, that would work even better than a food processor and be much quicker. Hope you enjoy!

• Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health January 24, 2014, 1:01 pm

Okay, I’m officially drooling. I can imagine this tastes every bit as good as you say it does! And with oatmeal, ground flax and berries? Swoon.

• Kate January 24, 2014, 1:18 pm

This looks so delicious! I might have to venture out of the peanut butter making world and try something new (like this!) I think you have convinced me :)

• Terr January 24, 2014, 1:41 pm

Erica!

You’re driving me crazy with this goodness! I still need to make the almond cookies and I’m buying eggs tonight. Now, how long will this recipe last in the fridge? Also, must I use Maple? I’m on a tight budget. Honey is less expensive for me. Also, must I roast the cashews or can I buy pre-roasted cashews?

By the way, I was SERIOUSLY thinking of making a cashew butter, since store-bought cashew butter is CRAZY expensive. Thank you, thank you. I’ll probably try that cookie recipe after I make a batch of nut butter that I love.

• Erica January 25, 2014, 8:48 am

Pre-roasted cashews work just great! You could certainly try out honey, although I haven’t done it myself. You can keep this at room temperature. Mine disappeared quickly though, so I’m not sure about how long it lasts! :)

• cheri January 24, 2014, 3:54 pm

What a great idea, looks delicious!

• Marcia January 25, 2014, 1:23 pm

Yum! Does your recipe make about 2 cups? Trying to figure out how large a container I’ll need. My favorite (so far) has been cashew butter; this may take its place. Thanks!

• Erica January 25, 2014, 6:23 pm

Hi Marcia, I’d say it’s more like 1 cup. I will have to try some other cashew butters sometime! Hope you enjoy :)

• Amallia January 26, 2014, 4:55 pm

wow, it looks so delicious, I love cashew nuts, thanks for sharing

• Erica January 26, 2014, 7:49 pm

Me too! Thanks for your comment, Amallia :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks January 26, 2014, 5:26 pm

I love making homemade nut butters & this is gorgeous! pinned

• Erica January 26, 2014, 7:50 pm

Thanks Averie! You are the expert!

• Anna @ The Table January 26, 2014, 5:33 pm

I’m pretty sure I could eat the entire jar in one sitting. Although, I’ll have a hard time choosing between this and your Pistachio butter! Yum!

• Erica January 26, 2014, 7:51 pm

I can confirm that it’s quite dangerous! Not a spoonful left to speak of from that batch :)

• Brenda Heitz January 26, 2014, 5:48 pm

Nuts are so versatile – sweet, savory, butters, milks – I love them! This sounds scrumptious! This would provide a way to use some of my homemade maple syrup. Thanks for posting!

• Erica January 26, 2014, 7:51 pm

I can’t even imagine how good this would be with homemade maple syrup!

• Rossi @ A Baking Girl January 26, 2014, 6:07 pm

Oh my gosh… this looks/sounds amazing!!! Oh how I wish I had my food processor with me!

• Amy @ Chew Out Loud January 26, 2014, 10:21 pm

Wow, Erica, this is a fab idea! I love macadamia and cashews. And nut butters are our family’s new favorite thing this year. And now I have to go look at that carrot butter, cuz we all know the kids can use some carrot love :)

• Erica January 27, 2014, 7:24 am

Nut butters are my new favorite thing, too! I have a feeling there are a lot more in my future :)

• Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli February 1, 2014, 5:06 am

Well how incredibly SELFLESS of you! Haha! I love it! I find most cashew butters to be hit or miss with me, but with the combination of maple and vanilla? Well, I just can’t see how you could go wrong with that! I got a VERY nice food processor for my birthday back in December and finally broke it out a few weeks ago to make some homemade peanut butter…I think it’s safe to say I’m addicted now! So creamy, so delicious, and omg, it’s so nice to actually make something in a kitchen appliance that doesn’t scare my cat! Haha!

• Cassidy February 26, 2014, 7:32 pm

This is AMAZING!! Even my 8 year old LOVES it!! I can’t believe how easy it was, thank you thank you!!

• Erica February 27, 2014, 10:51 am

Thanks for the comment, Cassidy! So glad you and your little one enjoyed it :)

• Tina April 10, 2014, 1:12 pm

Made this for my boyfriend as a little gift for valentines – he L.O.V.E.D. it. Me, too:-). Thank you so much for sharing this lovely recipe!!!